Our client, MidStar Capital, is a Toronto based Private Debt firm with a growing portfolio of 1st
lien, unitranche and 2nd
lien investments. MidStar is part of Connor, Clark & Lunn Financial Group Ltd., an independently owned multi-boutique asset management firm whose affiliates are collectively responsible for over $77 billion in assets under management on behalf of institutional, private and retail clients.
Due to growth, there is an immediate need for an Associate to support ongoing and future investments through deal execution and portfolio management.
The individual will work with the investment team on transactions through evaluation, execution, documentation and closing of new deals as well as management of the portfolio of senior and junior debt transactions. The individual will have a strong interest in working for an entrepreneurial team and growing portfolio.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Perform preliminary analysis of investment opportunities.
- Prepare and analyze detailed financial models, including the modelling of valuation and return analysis, ratio analysis, cash flow analysis, and various risk scenarios.
- Support financial and operational due diligence including all aspects of the underwriting process.
- Prepare due diligence reports and investment recommendation presentations for approval.
Business Development and Relationship Management
- Support the development of external relationships with the C-suite of middle market corporate companies, financial sponsors, advisors, lawyers and other financial institutions to manage client relationships and assist in originating leveraged finance investment opportunities.
- Work closely with the Partners of the fund along with members of Connor, Clark & Lunn Financial Group’s support teams in the areas of finance and accounting, investment performance measurement, marketing, etc.
- Analyze various market trends and identify opportunities.
- Liaise with portfolio customers and co-ordinate loan compliance reporting and covenant monitoring.
- Maintain valuation models and assist with quarterly and annual reporting.
The successful candidate will have between 2 and 5 years of relevant experience in Private Debt, Leveraged Finance, Investment Banking and/or Corporate Finance/Transaction Advisory Services. They will have a strong background in financial modelling, research and analysis having had exposure to a high number of transactions throughout their career.
Specific skills and requirements include:
- University degree in business administration or its equivalent
- Master’s degree in a relevant field would be considered an asset
- Other financial designations would be considered an asset (e.g. CPA, CFA, CBV, etc.)
- Strong credit background is an asset; proficient in all phases of capital structure analysis, including investment analysis of 1st and 2nd lien financings
- Excellent accounting and financial statement analysis skills
- Strong skills in building and working with financial models in Microsoft Excel
- Excellent due diligence and underwriting skills
- Articulate and possessing a high level of oral and written communication skills
- Engaging, entrepreneurial and able to work independently, yet works comfortably as part of a team
- Enthusiastic and able to work under pressure
- Excellent organizational and priority management skills
- Sense of urgency, initiative and independence
To express interest in the position, please submit your resume, in confidence, directly to Leah Palko through this posting.