Our client is a start-up Cannabis organization who will be selling their product both within Canada and to International markets, with its head office in Toronto. They have an aggressive expansion plan, are planning to initiate an initial public offering (IPO) in the near term and are building out an exceptional executive team, including a newly created CFO role.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, and directly interacting with the Board of Directors, the CFO will be responsible for establishing and leading the Finance and Accounting function; preparing the company for their imminent IPO and assuming a strategic role in the overall management of the company. Provide overall corporate leadership in growing the company’s business through effective planning and execution of strategic business objectives.
- Establish and drive required policies, procedures and internal controls for a public company
- Provide direction and set up of reporting requirements, MD&A and filings for a startup, including the selection and implementation of systems
- Support investor and board relationship management, including presentation of financials at quarterly board meetings and frequent investor updates
- Lead capital raise fundraising activities dealing with investors, banks, legal counsel and shareholders
- Develop and manage budgets and long range financial forecasts, supporting the strategy, operations and financial planning with effective financial and business modeling
- Establish performance metrics that drive results, play a significant leadership role in the operations and growth of the company
- Oversee the Finance and Accounting operations, including month-end closing, financial reporting, A/P, A/R, Cost accounting, Payroll with a mindset of continuous process improvements and best practices
- Ensure compliance with company policies, regulatory requirements, IFRS, tax and government bodies
- Provide strong leadership in the development, recruitment and training of exceptional finance talent to foster a team and culture of high performance, productivity, accountability, transparency and collaboration
In order to be considered for this role, you will possess the following:
- CPA designation, with a progressive career ideally from a Big 4, coupled with 8+ years in a financial leadership role and ideally at least 2-5 years as a CFO
- Public company experience required, ideally having taken a company through an IPO
- A proven track record of building and leading strong, technically sound finance functions including successful fundraising, financial planning and analysis, M&A and operations accounting, ideally setting up LP's
- Investor relations experience dealing with analysts, shareholders and prospective investors
- Leadership and development of world class teams and talent in Finance and cross functionally as this role will have an impact on administration, operations, legal and HR functions
- Experience working in an agile, fast paced start up environment together with larger corporate exposure is an asset and highly desirable
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills; change agent, mission driven with high-integrity and transparent style, strong collaborator and relationship builder
- Ability to travel within Ontario, based out of downtown Toronto
Exciting newly created role with long term equity potential. Please apply immediately and in confidence.